The past few weeks have been a little bit of a whirlwind… After THIS blog post was shared on the Daily Mail I had a few interesting emails. From magazines and TV stations… It was all very sudden & surprising! The TV show I decided to go on was the Today Extra show… (I found out everyone is very competitive and if you are being on one show, they don’t want you chatting to others etc… So I kind of had to pick one.)
So Thursday the 12th of October I was set to be on on live TV… Yes, I do make YouTube videos & I love that – but live TV is a whole different ball game. I am fine chatting to myself on camera and I can redo my video if I mess up, with a live TV segment – that’s it. If you mess up, well – not much you can do… But, I was determined to do it, so nerves shoved aside – I was doing this! I just prayed super hard I didn’t blank, swear or faint!
So last Thursday I was awake bright and early and I headed to Brisbane with my best friend Kelsie and my little man Tommy…
I vlogged a little of our of day and in the video I also include my segment from the Today Extra show – you can watch it HERE.
Thank you to channel 9 and the Today Extra show for having me on the show, thanks to my sweet hair & makeup lady that made me look so good on TV and to the producers for being so easy to work with and for answering my endless questions.
Biggest thank you to my constant support system, Trent, Kelsie and my kids. Thank you Trent for staying home with the girls & thanks Kels for coming to Brisbane with me, dealing with my minor anxiety attack & for loving on my sweet little man, I am so glad you were there with me. Thank you also to all my friends & family who knew about this leading up to it and were my cheer squad and encouraged me to jump at this chance. You all mean so much to me. Thanks to my sister for talking me through finding the right top for TV & encouraging me to try a different colour! You were right, it looked nice!
And thank you to you guys, without my friends/readers/supporters I wouldn’t get opportunities like this – so thank you!
This month has been an absolute whirlwind, for my little blog and also for our family, our life is nonstop lately & I’m a bit tired… More on that another day though.
Have a wonderful weekend…
And though she be but little, she is fierce.
Ok it’s 7:30pm on Monday October, 16th 2017.
In 2 more sleeps I will have a 4 year old. I don’t know if I am emotionally prepared to have my baby turn 4.
FOUR! 4! 1, 2, 3 – FOUR!!! FOUR! I don’t know how many more ways I can type the word, but I am freaking out…
I struggle every birthday, it is so bitter sweet for me. I am so very grateful to God that she is growing up so healthy & smart and I love watching her learn & become her own person, but at the same time I long for her as a little bubba.
I love seeing old videos of her pop up on my Facebook, I have never noticed how much her voice has changed and maybe that is because I’m with her 24/7, but when I hear her on video 1 or 2 years ago, oh my gosh – it is so sweet, my heart nearly bursts.
I could talk about and gush over my daughter all day… I am truly so proud of the little girl she is. So to keep this post somewhat short, here are…
Four things I adore about my darling four year old…
- She is fierce – so fierce… Fiercely independent, has a fierce thirst for knowledge – she loves to learn and is so incredibly bright, she is fiercely protective of her baby brother and she has a fierce attitude – which at times can be challenging, but I know it’s important to be wired that way, I am too. She’ll grow up not taking nonsense from anyone and be incredibly determined in life. I am so proud she is fierce.
- She is wise. She is an old soul and understands things far beyond her years. She’s very perceptive of things that are going on around her and in our world, she often doesn’t need to be told about things, yet she understands what I am dealing with. Even the words and phrases she uses often surprises people. Words like; father, goodness gracious, oh my goodness, oh dear, darling, actually and similar – the list is endless and she’s so hilarious. She loves learning new words, what they mean and then using them.
- She is an absolutely incredible big sister. She loves her baby brother and Trent and I are so proud of how caring she is towards him.
- She loves music, she sings along to all the country music I listen to and often can be heard singing a country song as she falls to sleep. Her all time favourite song lately is “the outback club” by Lee Kernaghan.
If you would like to read my column that was inspired by LuLu check out the latest edition of Highfield’s Style HERE
Our darling LuLu is such a bright, active, creative, fun, sweet girl – we are so proud of her and cannot wait to watch her grow & thrive even more during this next year. She has changed us into the people we are today and we will be forever thankful to God for our darling little sweetheart. Our snuggle bug, our wild & fierce, daring & clever, beautiful & hilarious LuLu bug.
Happy 4th birthday LuLu. I love you so very much.
For today’s video I have my SPRING MORNING ROUTINE. You can watch it HERE.
Now, my routine evolves with whatever is going in our life & also with the seasons… The days are starting sooner now & the mornings are so beautiful & warm so we are able to get out and enjoy time outside before the heat of the day.
This routine is when Trent is on day shift, when he is on days off & night shift the routine may change slightly… But when he is on days on, this is pretty much what I do every morning up until around 9:30am. I get a lot done between when we wake up and until Tommy has his first nap. I get my jobs for the day out of the way as fast as possible so the children and I can enjoy our day.
My typical morning looks like;
- Wake up anywhere between 5:30am-6:30am… Then snuggle in bed!
- I start my diffuser, I use doTERRA essential oils... (If you would like more info on them please feel free to message me or click HERE.) In this particular video I am using grapefruit, litsea & easy air. I find this blend uplifting & motivating and easy air helps with sinus!
- I unload the dishwasher (I always run my dishwasher each night)
- I make our breakfast.
- The kids go in the playroom to play.
- I clean the kitchen, wipe down benches, take rubbish out and clean the highchair.
- Make my bed. My bed has to be made each day!
- I get myself ready for the day, I like to do really basic makeup & fix my hair quickly, that way I just feel a little better about myself.
- Put on a load of laundry.
- Dress the kids, clean teeth etc.
- Vacuum & mop.
- Then we all head out into the backyard to water our gardens.
- We go for a walk around our local area.
- Peg the laundry out.
- Come inside, wash hands.
- LuLu has quiet play time while I cuddle Tommy to sleep.
- LuLu and I have some fruit together.
That’s our usual routine and I feel having predictable days is so good for kids, they know what’s happening and are more at ease.
What does a normal morning at your house usually look like?
Let me know in the comments below or connect with me on social media…
PS: Want to win an elf door from Kmart?? Check out the posts on Instagram and Facebook!!
Well, this weeks been a bit of a whirlwind… Last week I posted about finding an elf door at Kmart, that went viral (over 267,000 views on Facebook!)
Then the Daily Mail shared a post I wrote which you can read HERE… From that came an offer to be in a magazine & also a spot on a morning talk show… Yep – TV.
I am a tiny bit nervous about that, yes I make YouTube videos – but they aren’t live TV! So yes, it’s all exciting and when things are more confirmed I’ll let you know. And what does one wear for a TV appearance?? Help!!
The Daily Mail also shared another one of my article todays, kind of stretched what I said a bit in that one though, but that happens… You can read that one HERE but keep in mind what I actually wrote can be found HERE & HERE... (my child does watch TV occasionally, mainly animal DVDs (movies or documentaries) but I stand by disliking Peppa Pig!)
To celebrate a great week & to thank you all for liking, sharing & always supporting me, I am hosting a giveaway on my Facebook and Instagram.
You could win yourself an elf door! I have 2 to giveaway, so make sure you enter on both Facebook & Instagram so you double your chance to win!
So make sure you head on over & enter!!
On Saturday I celebrated my 29th birthday.
I’m now in my final year of my twenties and I’m excited for it! My best friend and I have said for the past few years that our thirties are going to be our time to shine. We’ve both had some rough times in our twenties but each year we have become stronger & more confident women, we grow from the times that almost break us, so by the time we are 30 we are going to be unstoppable. So bring on this last year and whatever challenges may pop up, because they always do.
My birthday always makes me reflective on my life… Does that happen for you?
For today’s post I thought I would share…
29 things I’ve done/learnt/experienced in the past year…
28 was a bit of a challenging year, it was nowhere near as tough 27 – but I feel it has been a year of huge personal growth for me.
- 1 month after my 28th birthday I made a brave decision to value my emotional and mental health more and started to set boundaries in all aspects of my life. Some people didn’t like it and I haven’t heard from them since. And that’s ok.
- Just before my 28th birthday I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I’ve continued dealing with that, thankfully most of this year I’ve been reasonably well but recently I had the flu plus some recent stress caused me to relapse. So this year I’ve been learning to focus more on my health – mental, emotional and general and also learning to listen to my body.
- I became a Mumma of 2 amazing children.
- My second baby is a sweet little boy who makes my heart so happy, he was born at the end of one of the most challenging years I’ve ever experienced. He was the joy of 2016. I am so protective of him. A lot of emotional hurt happened during my pregnancy and after his birth and I think I’ll always now be a bit too protective of him. He deserves nothing but love.
- I started writing a column for a local magazine. I’m so proud to have some of my articles in actual print!
- I was also on the cover of that magazine this year!
- I survived a year of parenting a very smart (often a bit too smart) 3 year old. And 3, I believe is the most challenging age. The questions! The sass! The independence! She’s fierce, beautiful, sassy, wise, hilarious and so wonderful. My girl makes me so happy but so tired!
- For almost 1 whole year I’ve been a stay at home mumma to 2 children under 4. (They don’t attend day care and we have no outside help.)
- My marriage became stronger, as it does every year. I am so thankful for my amazing husband.
- I realised I can be ok on my own. I can make on choices and decisions. I can trust my gut and I do make the right choices.
- I cut my hair, shorter than I’ve ever have had it. And I LOVE IT!
- I also dyed a section pink, which was the most “out there” thing I’ve done in a very long time. All for my little girl who always asks for me to have colourful hair.
- My confidence and self belief in the last year has grown.
- I was a bridesmaid for the very first time. I was so honoured to stand beside one of my dearest friends who has supported me so much.
- I found my go to, absolutely amazing chocolate cake recipe.
- I discovered the importance of friends that become family. Those real true friends, that make life so much better. My beautiful little support network that listens, values me, doesn’t judge and offers wisdom. I am so incredibly thankful for them and all they do for me.
- I’ve learnt to not believe every word that’s said to me. And to remember if someone is saying awful things about others to me, what do/would they say about me to others! I now refuse to draw my judgement of someone else just off what someone else says.
- This year there was a hurtful “smear campaign” about me, created by someone who should love me. Many people have believed the most hurtful lies I’ve ever heard about me, but I’ve found the way to rise above it and not let it effect me so greatly is to remember – what someone else says about me reflects more on them than it does me. And those that believe it, don’t know me at all.
- I’ve also kept in my mind what others think of me doesn’t really matter, God knows me and my heart and that matters a lot more.
- This year my mind has been clearer and I’ve been less anxious. I truly believe it’s because I’ve focused on surrounding myself with people who want good for me.
- I’ve learnt the importance of self care and regularly find little moments for myself.
- I’ve felt let down and betrayed by some people I love. But it’s all lessons.
- I’ve continued trying to grow my little blog and started back making weekly videos on YouTube. I had to rebuild this site after my original one crashed. I have moments of doubt, moments I want to walk away but I keep going. I love my little space on the internet & I believe in encouraging & inspiring mums by sharing my story.
- I’ve been scared of this world and our future. There is so much that happens in this world that absolutely terrifies me and makes me scared to think of what my children may have to deal with when they become adults.
- Trent and I made a big life changing choice this year which we’ve been silently working hard on… still more work to go, but we feel in our hearts it’s what’s best for us and our children.
- I’ve praised God for all the joy and happiness I’ve experienced this year, but I’ve also gotten frustrated when life has been so hard & I have felt helpless, but still I thanked Him even though at times I did question what His exact plan is for me. Than I thanked Him again for loving me, despite my questions and for accepting me for all that I am and I’m not. Moral of the point, be thankful even in hard times. Having faith when life is going great is easy, having faith when life’s rough is what faith is all about.
- I’ve laughed, loved and lived this year. This year I’ve felt a sense of freedom.
- This year I’ve missed hunting & shooting. Pregnancy and having a new baby has made it a little challenging to get out, but hopefully next year we will all go for hunt during the rut.
- I feel proud of myself. I’m 29, I’m still learning everyday and continuing to be a better person. I refuse to let negativity control my life and I strive daily to have a clean and positive mind and a good heart.
28 was another hard year, it was emotionally painful & stressful. There were some very low points but some absolutely amazing highs. But I feel good about 29, I feel it’s going to be better…
For my last year of my twenties I pray I am able to find more peace in my life, calm some of the chaos, become even stronger and grow closer to our Lord.
I pray daily for more wisdom, strength, patience and tolerance. I’m proud of where I’m at and where I’m going.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
Bring of this last year of the twenties!
We are at the start of a week long heat wave… We have had and are expecting temperatures in the low to mid 30s! (90ish degrees Fahrenheit temperatures) And for some places high 30s/low 40s!! And it’s only the first month of spring!! It’s HOT!
So today my brain is not working that great, I love spring, but summer heat – eh, not so much. I can handle temps up until about 30degrees, after that it just feels like death!
So I thought I would share some tips to stay cool in this heat…
10 tips for beating the heat with kids…
- Stay hydrated! Keep your freezer stocked with hydralyte (or similar) ice blocks. These are not only great to have in case of sickness, but they are great on hot days especially for active kids… Keep water bottles filled up and water in the fridge.
- Over heating/heat stroke. Be informed and aware of the signs of heat stroke in not only kids & babies but also elderly, pets and even yourself. HERE is a great article.
- Netflix or movies. You all know I hate TV and it is a rarity in this house, I truly do not like my kids watching it, but sometimes you just have to give in. When it’s super hot and I need my super active little girl to rest in the heat of the day, I don’t mind popping a movie on for her to enjoy in the cool.
- Crafts. Kmart has a fantastic range of simple & fairly mess free crafts. LuLu loves them and they entertain her really well. Doing a simple craft inside in the cool (under a fan, near open windows or even in the air con) is a great way to rest & cool down.
Highly recommend all 3 of these packs!
- Water play. While Trent has been on shift we’ve enjoyed the little paddling pool, but when he is home we all get in the big pool. I use the little pool because it is a lot easier to manage on my own with 2 kids. If you don’t have a pool, a water table is a great play option (a big tub full of water & some Tupperware works too!) or even just a sprinkler or a water fight – kids love water. Try and find a shady spot, and let them have fun! If it is way too hot outside, fill up the bathtub and stay cool inside! (Pinterest is also full of water play ideas!) *Always supervise children around water.
- Sunscreen & hats! This goes without saying and I’m sure you all know this point, but sun protection is so important. We put sunscreen on every morning and reapply before going outside each time. We also always have wide brim hats (or legionnaire style for babies) I really like the brand Bed Head hats, that is the brand of LuLu’s swim hat & Tommy’s hat is by Plum (as was LuLu’s swim hat when she was a baby). The kids are always in swim shirts while outside for water play or light shirts that cover their shoulders for regular play.
- Cool meals. Plan your meals with the heat in mind, think cool & light foods salads, smoothies, burgers – meals that aren’t bulky and typical hot meals. Make some homemade ice blocks or fruit sorbet. Even treat yourself to a night off making dinner and have take away so you aren’t using your oven. (My go to meal lately has been a BBQ chicken from Woolies or Coles and coleslaw burgers. Honestly the best easy meal!)
- Get rest. This comes back to the movie point, but try and encourage your kids to rest & take it easy during the day. LuLu is super active and wants to play all day and she doesn’t nap – so the only way I can get her to rest is to let her to have some TV time. On normal days, her energetic enthusiasm doesn’t bother me, she can play & entertain herself but during this sudden heat wave, I don’t want her over exerting herself in the high temperatures, so I allow a movie so she rests.
- Wash the dog. Our pets also will be feeling the heat, so get the kids & find a shady spot and give your beloved pooch a spring time bath. They cool down, you all will probably get drenched so you and the kids are cooling down and a job is being checked off your list. Reward your dog for being a good sport with a “pupsicle”! (a big frozen ice cube full of dog treats/toys etc. I freeze ours in old ice cream buckets & add in a mix of dog treats, cat biscuits, chicken stock, toys etc)
- Bed time. At bed time the temperatures are normally still high. We dress the kids in the very light clothing and don’t use any sheets, as the temperature lowers during the evening we go in and cover them. We also keep the bedroom windows open to allow cool breeze to blow in but if it is super hot we run the air con.
How are you staying cool this week?
Let me know in the comments below or on social media…
Stay cool friends, I am dreading to know what Summer will be like if this is only spring!
Today I have an exciting new company to talk to you about…
Rescue Mumma is a new subscription & gift box company created by Kimberly from KimberlyRose, this service is designed with Mummas in mind!
The idea behind Rescue Mumma is proved a service to pamper Mums. We often are so hesitant to treat ourselves but this service not only will benefit you, $1 from every box sold goes back to Baby Give Back, an organisation that assists Gold Coast Mums & their children who maybe struggling.
So treating yourself can help another Mum!
These boxes are a great idea for a baby shower gift, a surprise treat to a new Mumma or even just a little gift in the mail to your bestie – because all Mums deserve to be spoilt!
I did my first ever unboxing video with the lovely Rescue Mumma box I was sent, make sure you check it out HERE.
If you would like to order your own Rescue Mumma box or check out the site click HERE.
If you want to order a box please use the coupon code “LAUNCH5” for 5% off!
To win a box, please check out my Instagram & Facebook page! I’ll be giving away 1 box to one of my beautiful readers! So make sure you enter & tag your Mumma friends to enter too!
Rescue Mumma did send me this box as a gift, but all opinions are my own.