In you, I’ve found the love of my life & my truest, closest friend.
Yesterday Trent and I celebrated 6 years of marriage – for the past month I’ve been thinking it was 7, whoops! But it is 6!
I thought in this post I would share 6 tips for a strong marriage… Now I am not claiming our marriage is perfect, we are human! But 6 years and still going strong is a great sign!
- Be each other’s best friend. Trent is my absolute best friend, I have my 2 best girlfriends – but he knows me on a level no one else does and I swear we can read each other’s minds! I can be thinking of something and he just does it or appears with it… (Or maybe he is just amazing at knowing when I need a glass of wine!)
- Keep dating your spouse. This! Remember this!! Do not let it go, ever! It is so easy to slip into habits where we get super comfortable with each other & all romance & effort goes out the window… Don’t do that – sure get comfortable, but don’t get so comfortable you stop making an effort! Tell your partner you think they are hot, let them know you are thinking of them, do unexpected surprises for them – even just buying their favourite drink or chocolate while at the shops – little things count! If you would’ve done it back in the “dating days” – do it now! Doing it now is even more important!
- Build each other up. Brag about your husband, tell him he looks great, tell him about how awesome he is – let him know you value and absolutely adore him. Compliments go a long way! Building up your partner gives them confidence and motivates them to be even better as a person… If you are constantly negative and have nothing nice to say about the person you chose to marry – well, nothing positive will come from that! They will lose confidence and motivation. The words we say are powerful, chose to build your husband up – not tear him apart.
- Trust, respect & understanding. A marriage is nothing without out these 3. You need to be able to trust each other, respect each other & have a clear understanding on how you want your life & marriage to be. If you aren’t on the same page with these – you need to be! I trust Trent completely, we have a respectful relationship where we understand our roles & we work together as a team in every aspect of our lives…
- Be each others strength & be strong together. There will be hard days. Really, really hard days – everyone has them… There have been times in our marriage that I feel would’ve possibly broken other people, moments that have shattered us & each time we’ve come back stronger. Our marriage has had some absolutely wonderful highs & some heartbreaking lows – each time I am so thankful to God for Trent. He has been strong for me countless times & together we are so strong.
- Communicate & forgive. This is basic, but learn to talk to each other… Don’t sit in silence and stew with anger – be open & honest. Learn to disagree respectfully & agree to disagree. Also forgive, no one is perfect – yourself include, so learn to move on & forgive.
- Bonus point – HAVE FUN. Learn to laugh… Sometimes if you don’t laugh you’ll cry, especially when you are parents. Be silly, play jokes & don’t take life too seriously… Have fun & happiness is contagious. (Ladies, remember if Mumma ain’t happy, ain’t no one happy! Our tone controls the tone of our home!)
What are your tips for a great & strong marriage?
(Trent would like me to add in here, “happy wife, happy life” – that’s his tip.)
I would love to know your tips, please comment below or on my social media!
To celebrate our anniversary yesterday we had a “couple photoshoot” with Tina from “Tina Ebenal Photography”. We have so many sweet images of our kids but it’s rare to get a photo of “just us” – so this was a real treat! Tina was wonderful to work with, very professional, calm & knowledgable. We’ve had a sneak peek of some of the images and they are beautiful!
Have a great week!